Sunday, January 24, 2010

Worms


To tackle a wriggling mound of worms is one thing to think about.
But sorting through the castings (feces) and separating the worms into another container is a whole different story.I did this for more than hour today.At first I was squeamish and didn't want any part of me touching the castings.Then I loved discovering worms hiding in avocado skins,lifting and scooting their rebellious little forms to safety (which they didn't believe).My back is nice and sore.A trip to the nursery to get basil,rosemary and other plants.Bamboo was vetoed,as were blueberries.Now I am sipping a blueberry,raspberry and marionberry smoothie I made.
Having a tired back reminds me of the endless weeding,pruning,digging, and other garden tasks I did last summer.I was told what to do, and would happily disappear for up to 5 hours, squatting and my back curving in a tortoise like fashion.There is something about getting your hands in the earth for a sustained period of time that really grounds you,makes you at peace.
sigh!

No comments: