Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Learning to Be Open


I was very excited as usual for my biweekly yoga class today.Susana is a wonderful teacher, both in yoga and in energy and concentration.
I happily greeted my fellow yogis and hurried to clean up my personal corner floor,unfurl my mat, and place my block on my Birkenstocks.Being ready is something that is vital to me, so that's why I put my block on my shoes,so I can reach for it without losing a second.
Then Nadia walked in the room, who has substituted for Susana,Mara and Cyra, all my yoga teachers.I started to feel disappointed already, for Nadia's trademark is come into a lunge and then into Warrior, instead of going through the traditional astanga cycle.
But as we eased into our introductory seating pose, I realized how unfair it is not to be open.That's right, it's not my favorite teacher, but why shouldn't I give my respectful energy and attention? There is no reason not to.
We did this one pose using a strap which is pretty much the introduction to handstand.I cannot get into that pose at all,I have a great fear of being upside down.But I felt so great that I was simply doing the pose instead of stubbornly and fearfully sitting and watching everyone else.
I know that Nadia felt that I wasn't blocking my energy at all, and I am so grateful I participated the way I did today.
Be open to everyone and everything positive.You only hold yourself back and detract from all the beautiful people and experiences.
Namaste

No comments: