Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snow


I am perhaps one of the few people who loves snow.Even though the change in environment and weather is so great that my stomach becomes a hopeless mess...I love snow.The soft banks of it, sitting on branches, coating the road on which the robins hop.I noticed that nothing stops robins.They are very hardy little birds,with such a charming look. 
But back to snow.I was in Seattle and there was a snowstorm.The whole city was blanketed in white,it became still and quiet, and I layered pairs of socks, oh how exciting! Even though I fell on my butt on ice (my butt is strong) I really enjoyed it. We were walking blocks in the snow to go to dinner when all of a sudden...I got that feeling in my stomach.Of all the food dropping and needing a toilet.Oh dear.well I'll save you details,but thank god there was a toilet right where we were.
It's raining again! YAY!
I even liked shoveling snow.For a few days it kept snowing, then eventually it warmed up a bit and some of the snow melted.Now the hill down to the house is steep, and my mom and I were concerned about slipping.So I went out and shoveled a path all the way from the door to the top of the hill,where the car is.ME.Not a man.The men who were around wouldn't do it "because of their backs".Proving yet again how women have always been the ones to keep things together and to provide in essential ways that what men cannot.HA!
So I shoveled for over an hour.What a fantastic workout.I came inside exhausted and dripping in sweat, my face bright pink.I still love snow even after that!
On the day we had to leave, there was very little snow left.I took  a walk outside and just lived in the air.It's so different from here.It was fresh, dewy with rain, the smell of evergreens,bark,soil,pine cones..all those delicious and earthy smells.I am usually on the verge of tears when I have to leave, but this just calmed me.It reminded me that wherever I am, there is no reason not to be happy,be grateful,be positive.But I love San Juan Island with all my heart. I didn't get to go there last summer.I miss Serendipity Books,the used book store that I spend countless hours in. The trees most of all.The air, even when it's the middle of the summer the air can be cool and you wear goosebumps when a tiny breeze comes by.How friendly people are,so much more than in Hawai'i.  Deer,eagles,robins, my morning walks up the steep roads, especially up Kasnyku.There is just something entirely welcoming yet calming, and how accessible the natural state is there.

No comments: