Saturday, January 23, 2010

The miracle of sound

Sometimes I do an exercise where I think about things that as human beings we take for granted. Or not even as humans, but being a lucky human such as myself.
Sight and noise are certainly two of them.When I see my favorite little finches every day they make me so happy.The combination of what they look like and what they sound like is truly charming.They are about the size of a soup spoon, nutty brown with a few red highlights, and make a distinct "CHEEEP CHEEEP CHEEEEEEEP" sound as they fly in a small flock,landing on grass, roofs, and other places.They have gotten me through some hard times, when I felt so alone but when I saw them I brightened up immediately.
Which brings me to an excerpt from a poem by the great Sam Levinson
"Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm."
I think we truly misunderstand as well as misvalue our own abilities. And we don't use them correctly either. Instead of sitting at this computer typing, I could be out serving food to the homeless, or on a mission somewhere, teaching basic proper nutrition and hygiene. I believe it is a basic human birthright to help those who don't have what we do. And all the things we have that we don't need.
Sometimes I go and look at all the things I don't need.All those clothes.So many books,lotions,teas,art supplies.Things that are a moment's fancy or whim to me are more than a luxury to others.There are millions in this world who right now are having trouble drawing breath, not able to have a meal, or use a toilet, or even have something to sleep on or protect them from the cold of the night.
That is why someday I truly hope to use my talents for the benefits of those who do not have what I do. There is so much more in this world, and the fact that we are able to board a plane,train and boat and reach those places is truly miraculous. We can go and help, which is something I believe in.Not the kind of colonialist pity.But the loving,caring,concerned human help that it so essential in every person's life.
Join me.

1 comment:

grass ahn said...

Oh grandma, this was such a sweet reminder for me! How lucky we are indeed and how exciting it is for us to have the means to extend our arms and reach out to others! Yes, let's live like this!

P.S.: So glad you have a blog :-)