Wednesday, April 21, 2010

There Is Nothing We Cannot Do


As some of you may know, I have been an ardent fan of Audrey Hepburn since I was a teenager.There were a few things I found in common between Audrey and I, a love of ballet,tulips,animals,children,chocolate,the countryside, that I noticed right away. But as I got older, and I bought the book about her by her son, the most emotional book I have ever read, I discovered a whole new side to Audrey.
She was such a giving woman.She didn't ever get the love she craved for from her parents,or in either of her two marriages. I have a tremendous need to give love as well. When she started working for UNICEF she unlocked a side of herself, one that was so extremely determined on helping the children of the world to receive adequate food,water,vaccinations and other simple things which we Westerners take for granted. One quote of hers which always stays with me is "Together,there is nothing we cannot do." If we can bomb Afghanistan,if we can make a celebrity out of Paris Hilton, then we can just as easily save a few hundred lives a day through rudimentary water,nutrition,shelter and education!
What I learned the most reading the book is that the essence of life is to SHARE. Share your beauty,your happiness,your gifts, your humor,your intelligence. And it's not out of pity. It's a basic human motive to share. For years I had been existing in fear. I was sacred of what I looked like, what I did, how others saw me most of all. I think that had a lot to do with being different from everyone else,no matter where I went.
But it also had a lot to do with being an shy yet avid reader. I would read about things and get petrified. Or my parents would warn me again and again, until I actually generated the fear in myself. I didn't do anything, I was scared of what could happen to me.
The worst thing you can do with your only life is to waste it hiding, in whatever aspect. I know that someday it will be imperative for me to help others, because I treasure so much the time I spend around children and animals. They do not take you for granted,or hide their feelings. They are the purest essences of life, in that they are open to so many things.They learn and are healed so easily. It damages me so much when I see mistreatment toward them. You cannot own an animal's heart and soul, no matter how much you pay for it.That's why I have never bought an animal for myself. I meet them everywhere.The birds sing to me, I stop and interact with dogs...
But what I am getting to, is to SHARE. You see this computer you are using? The house you are in? The food you'll eat for your meal? Millions of people do not even have those resources.
I do not mean to bring you down,to depress you.But it is so vital in this day and age to be aware that the majority of human kind does not have what we do. So whatever good you can do for someone else, do it. A smile is the easiest way to. It may save a person from suicide, from a fight, you never know.
So do as Audrey and I, SHARE you beautiful essence!

2 comments:

grass ahn said...

so beautiful, so true, so inspiring--yes.

Unknown said...

Wow Tai!!! that was amazing. I absolutely agree with you on the animal issue as well. I hate the domestication of any animal...it hurts to see animals in collars and hooked up to chains and leashes and then walked! ugh..i hate that.. i hate that the animals are caged and abused in that way. I have never purchased an animal. but, overall you are correct. to share is to be just and right and good and mindful of others. thanks for this.