Friday, April 23, 2010

For Your Consumption

People have often given me a hard time about being a vegan.So I thought it was about time to set the records straight about my life choice.
I don't do it to lose weight.I do it based on consumption issues.I find it imperative that we are aware of the ingredients,sourcing,farming and methods which are behind every bite we eat.Often I want to buy a tasty looking orange in the store.I go look at where it's from, which is usually from Mexico or Chile.I put it back.
Think how many gallons of gasoline it takes to drive the oranges to the coast,then think how long it takes the ship to take to get here,then to distribute it.It's simply UNGREEN!
The local oranges around here are delicious anyway!
Obviously cows are not murdered to make cheese,yogurt and milk.However I believe that these wonderful animals should be roaming in huge pastures, instead of barns all day long. Cows have become machines now,too. That is the main reason I do not consume yogurt and cheese.Of course there are other reasons too, I was getting a lot of headaches when I did consume cheese regularly. And I often ate it all in one go, so it's better not to have it around. Cheese is also a source of cholesterol.Both my parents have high LDL cholesterol,and it's something I am likely to have too as I get older, but since I can control it now,no cheese for me.
The main stereotypes about vegans are that we are so limited and our food is so bland.Well I have made pizza without cheese,carrot cake without cheese, I regularly have spaghetti with delicious vegan pesto sauce. They are delicious and healthy, without the cholesterol and fat that the normal versions have. I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables,whole grains and legumes,WHICH SHOULD BE THE MAIN STAPLES OF YOUR CONSUMPTION!
The hardest thing about being a vegan is traveling. Last summer I caved in and had cheese and yogurt,but I will not this time around! Actually in Croatia it is very easy to eat vegan,with fantastic produce,delicious breads,and plenty of canned beans for protein.The main problem is family dinners with older,traditional relatives.They think we are some kind of rebellious freaks who set out to offend them.I cannot speak fluently in their language to explain my whole theory behind it either. I had a big problem when I stopped eating fish, but this won't likely happen.The worst part about it is that if you don't literally clear your plate,THEY ARE OFFENDED TO NO END.
So tonight I plan on dining on steamed broccoli and quinoa.For breakfast I had oatmeal, for lunch tofu,tomatoes,pesto, and strawberries for dessert.
Treat your body well,and realize that there is a reason why it takes so long for you digest meat...BECAUSE WE ARE NOT MADE TO DIGEST IT!

No comments: