Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Earth Day!!!!


Having been raised a mild strain of hippie, I am SO EXCITED that Earth Day is creeping up! Of course there is a fest at my university,and I am getting bounced up to see my friends,all the neat booths, dance and talk in the sun (under clothing and spf 70).YAY!
Well I'm not the strain of hippie who goes barefoot, doesn't use deodorant,ignores removing body hair, and is a PACE major. I'm a hippie in my own unique way: I shut off the water while I lather, compost, use noni,lavender,coconut regularly,among other things.I have always found comfort,balance,peace and love in natural surroundings. I was brought up camping from an early age, and I would wake up as the sun came up and walk the mile in to the main road, spotting deer,eating blackberries and enjoying the stillness of the day. I meditate and practice Ashtanga Yoga outdoors, and when I'm on the beach, I happily relax to the sounds and smells there.
But what really do people stereotype a hippie as ? Anti! They seem to think that hippies are ready to defend their mossy, damp, sweaty, cavern utopias. I'm here to prove that wrong. Of course there are many aspects of fundamental modern society which I shun and try to avoid.Supermarkets,chain stores, cars,malls, any consumption which has to do with meat,fish,foreign products. Not only are these easy to eliminate from your life,well I suppose depending where you live, but it makes such an impact on you as a person when you are aware of your consumption.
I haven't been to Borders, Barnes & Noble, Walmart,K-Mart,Target...in a LONG time and I don't ever plan to be AGAIN! I don't shop online, or at malls, IN FACT I AM DISGUSTED THAT AN 8,000 FOOT MINI MALL IS GOING TO MAR MY TOWN STARTING NEXT YEAR.Well that's O'ahu for you.If you have any preconceived ideas of this island being a remote paradise...well I have to break it to you, a lot of parts of the island are not that way.If you are looking for that, go to Kaua'i,Hawai'i,Moloka'i.
well that's enough preaching for now I suppose.
Celebrate Earth Day every day,in some little but meaningful way! Don't flush for yellow,you waste 5 to 7 gallons of precious water! Same with lathering, and brushing your teeth,and rinsing your face. Those gallons sure do add up. Walk to the store, or to the gym (I find it HILARIOUS that people drive to gyms to work out..LAZY), and always be grateful!

No comments: