Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dereling Naunce


I went to the library,as I do most days, and got out one of my favorite books , Love From Nancy, the Letters of Nancy Mitford. I checked it out two years ago, but remembered all of a sudden it was there.I was ENRAGED to find the section where her actual books are still taped off due to mold problems (OH LORD). So I have to suffice with her letters instead.
I have a bunch of her sayings on the tip of my tongue, such as Dereling (darling), which is apparently close to her long,drawling accent.If only there were a video of her! sigh! I can't wait to read her accounts of tortoises mating, hedgehogs, her views on Fascism, teasing her parents and every other human she encountered in her life.
She moved to France after the second war, and became something of a social stop off for fellow English expatriates. But she could not abide Americans! But the sad part is Nancy never found happiness in her personal life. She fell in love with Colonel,later Ambassador, Gaston Palweski, but her feelings were not reciprocated. Eventually she moved to Versailles from Paris, to a little house with a big garden, and she later died from Hodgkin's disease there.

No comments: