Sunday, September 26, 2010

Wistful Autumn Thinking

I wish to live in a place where autumn actually occurs someday. Crisp air, cooling temperatures, delicious leaves falling to the ground into large piles which I and children play in. The opportunity to wear sweaters and warm socks, drink tea and cider in front of a fire-oh, autumn sure is romantic to me!
Well I did live on Cape Cod, and in Seattle, but haven't lived in those places for a LONG time. So when I was in WA just over a month and half ago (has it really been only then!?!?!) it was truly exciting to pull on my lovely Norwegian sweater, rusty wool tights, hiking boots, and hat to watch the sunset on the edge of the east side. A mug of roobios tea accompanied me, and the colors on the horizon muted, blended and dimmed in a most unforgettable way.
There's always something I love about rainy,stormy weather as well. A sense of excitement envelopes me, and I rummage for a fleece or sweater to pull on right away. Then out comes a good book, and the cat arrives in no time flat, meowing plaintively as her fur is wet. I rub her off with a towel and tuck her in; you must be extra caring with 19 year old felines.
Anyway, up in WA it was so rainy and cool one day, so of course I went off for one of my three hours tromps. That's the word: tromps. It's a combination of wandering and hiking for me, punctuated with sniffing the air and keeping an eye out for my deer friends. Something about being outdoors when it's rainy, moist and cool, is so exhilarating as well as comforting to me. Everything takes on a seemingly new state, which is really hard to explain. There's stillness, but also there is the moisture that is falling, which gives a softness and a transience to nature.
The times I've gone running in a rainstorm are countless actually. Rarely anyone else ventures out, but I adore running in the rain. It kind of represents something for me, emerging and dissolving into another form. The rain keeps falling but you keep going, your cheeks get red, and pretty soon you are just a very drippy person, with very squeaky shoes! But I've rarely felt so free and so happy as when I've ran in the rain.
You should try it sometime.

No comments: