Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sweltering Days in Netherlands


It’s close to 100

and we eat fried zucchini flowers, broad bean and snap bean spaghetti and salad

The zucchini flowers must be picked in the morning, as they close up when it gets hot.

They are lightly fried in flour, water, egg (from the hens only a matter of feet away)

Also there is homemade foccacia pizza with peppers and champignons (mushrooms).

Yesterday we had my favorite Italian dish, pesto linguine, it was so delicious, the pesto without cheese for me as only goat milk cheese does not cause a headache.

Last night terrific thunder, lightning, and rain storms pounded the rest of the country, especially in the north near Appeldoorn. We only got some rain.

Throughout the past six years, this area has gotten hotter and hotter due to global warming. Months go by without rain, and Arthur has to spend thousands of Euros watering his meadows in order to keep his sheep alive. This year eleven were born, sky rocketing the little herd up to 25. Unfortunately, this weather is determined to become permanent at some point, and this whole area will end up a desert.

However that doomsday has not come, and we enjoy the company of Benedetta’s parents visiting from Italia. I give the six cats their two annual weeks of petting, and enjoy my walks. Nearby there are two nice small forests, however the poplar one will be cut down for flax in the autumn. This saddens me for various reasons; four days ago I went there, napped and meditated, and experienced Die Kabouter (the Gnomes). It was simply amazing, and I staggered back to the house full of positive, glowing energy.

However Die Kabouter have been playing with me ever since ! I was boxing broad beans and one plastic container disappeared right before my eyes. And yesterday one of my earplugs vanished, right in front of my eyes again. My search ended in vain. Most people are scared or ignorant or in denial of such realities, but the more you expand your beliefs, the more you expand yourself.

Everyone else collapses of heat exhaustion, fleeing to cool corners and cold showers. I try to follow the Ayurvedic method, by drinking warm tea and adjusting to the temperature. The trip to the organic shop was highly anticipated yesterday, and I readied my greedy eyes, fingers and stomach.

I scurried first to the impressive tea section, which I can recall from memory. Into my basket went Yogi Licorice, Pukka Refresh, and Yogi Detox teas. I hemmed and hawed over the loose tea section, but they take up too much room in a suitcase. Then I picked out three packages of suiker vree (sugar free) biscuits, one in particular, Aquarius Sesame, is delicious with pindakass (peanut butter).

Eyeing the juice section but decided to get mini containers of chocolate soy milk instead. Then a small jar of pindakass for when I am on my own for four days. Crunchy spicey muesli, Weleda Iris face milk, and a few things I cannot even recall now ended up going back with me. I wisely resisted the huge jars of Acacia Honing (honey), my suitcase cannot fit it, and I have lavender honey from Croatia already.

Well,time for daily I Ching reading in the shade.

Tot ziens!

No comments: