Sunday, July 25, 2010

Obsessive Packer Goes Northwest


Yours truly is headed out to the airport again on Tuesday, this time to Seattle..well,actually to San Juan Island for ten restful, yoga, hiking and blackberry picking filled days! Which means, packing yet again. Over the course of my life, I’ve been in literally hundreds of airplanes, so I have packing down to an art form.

For my trip to Washington, this means lots of exercise clothes, warm layers for cold evenings, and a change of nice clothes for celebratory birthday dinners. Lightweight wool socks, thermal long underwear, corduroy pants, and a brand new Barney purple fleece jacket are the main focus items of my Pacific Northwest wardrobe.In my closet on San Juan, a woven purple and burnt sienna scarf, red fleece vest, and threadbare sweat pants await. The sweatpants are perfect for blackberry picking, which requires all skin to be covered else you get scratched beyond recognition.

Today I just finished packing, and my little Samsonite carry on is stuffed with neatly rolled Athleta pants, running shorts, running socks, cotton shirts,yoga mat (if you fold it in an alternating vertical and horizontal pattern,it will fit!), a nice purple cheongsam top for dinners out. Not to forget various watercolor painting brushes,eraser,charcoal pencils, pad and travel watercolor set! Alas, I forgot the painting supplies in Europe, so I will make up for it in WA!

Only two pairs of shoes are necessary: running shoes and Simple vegan flats.However, I am packing some black Chinese style embroidered flats for the dinners.I also have the hilarious rubber gardening clogs at the house, so I am sure those will make an appearance, as well as rubber Wellingtons (“wellies” in Scotland and UK).

And last but not least, my one piece for swimming in Egg Lake…if it warms up enough!

No comments: