Friday, March 11, 2011

Tsunami!


What an eventful evening ! going for my evening stroll around 8:30,I passed a lady on a corner screeching into her phone: “a 9.8 earthquake hit Japan and you betta get your boat outa da harbor tonite!!!” I figured it would be ok to continue with my walk…got home, and sure enough, so much damage to Japan and a surefire tsunami warning for here (Hawai’i) expected between 2 and 3 am.

Then the horns. Those loud tsunami warning horns which blare for minutes, chill you to the bone and certainly scare the dickens out of children and animals.They sounded every hour from 9 pm to 3 am. Plus two of my neighbors are firemen,so they were shuttling off in their huge SUVs between here and their stations it seemed all night long. One had evacuees on his lawn, and the dogs in this neighborhood were really unsettled.

Thankfully I live a few miles up from the beach, and out of the inundation zone, but so many were evacuated. Thankfully there don’t seem to be any casualties on this island,but it is hard to get the thorough information even now.

On a culinary note, have been making pesto alla Tajna (me) quite often.It’s delicious with steamed asparagus,brussel spouts,cauliflower,broccoli, and roasted quinoa with avocado.

-two cups lightly chopped basil

-half a cup roasted nuts,walnuts are healthiest but macadamias are the local ones and yummiest for me

-half a cup olive oil

-big tablespoon of miso

combine all these into a blender/food processor, pulse until ready.

Prayers and positive energy to all in Japan.

No comments: