Wednesday, February 9, 2011

New Discoveries!


Well this random little post is about new discoveries in my culinary life ! Lately I have discovered the mighty Medjool date, from Coachella,CA (well that's where the ones I been grinding on come from!). They are so delicious! A few days ago I made amaranth date sunflower seed cashew almond bars, with only a bit of molasses and some almond milk to sweeten.Almost raw, and certainly vegan! I zapped it in the fridge for a while,but it never totally gelled to its suggested state, probably because I opted out of the 1/2 cup of honey.That's way too much sugar for such a sugar sensitive person as me!
I have also discovered almond butter, which I am actually preferring to peanut butter! It's probably lower in fat, I don't really keep tabs on that..but I love it! Over the weekend I was taking a spoonful of it, dipping it in roasted trail mix, then polishing off spoonful after spoonful.mmmm yummy!
And I've also gotten into making my pesto lately! Of course it's vegan! the secrets to it are:

-yellow miso
-roasted nuts, to give it a rich nutty flavor
-no garlic, so you don't fart more than usual in shoulder stand
-lots of olive oil! olive oil is extra healthy and delicious

And last but CERTAINLY not least, Brussel sprouts! These fantastic little green bulbs are full of folic acid, an important ingredient in the vegan (and normal) diet.I steam them, douse them with my vegan pesto, along with steamed broccoli,carrots, and green beans.
So I hope this inspires you all away from the foods you don't need, and which unfortunately our society and country have brainwashed into our minds that we need:

-dairy
-meat
-sugar
-processed foods in general

Treat yourself as the god/goddess that you are!

No comments: